I am a big fan of SQL Server. I feel it’s a great Database to run a business on. I love the tight integration with the tools and especially the Data Warehouse capabilities. SQL Server 2008 Express is free and quite powerful. At the end of this Blog entry is a link to get a free download.
Here are some of the key things about it:
- Support for LINQ, Entity Data Model and ADO.NET Entity Framework make it easy to create next generation data-enabled applications
- New Date and Time data types with time zone support and .NET compatibility provides full control over temporal data
- New T-SQL IntelliSense support in SQL Server Management Studio makes it easy to write accurate T-SQL code
- Access a vast community of other SQL Server enthusiasts from beginners to experts via the SQL Server Express forum
Tight integration with Visual Studio 2008 with SP1
SQL Server 2008 Express provides high-end database features
- Support for new data types and features like spatial data, HierarchyID, and FileStream makes it easier to model complex data
- Support for MERGE, GROUPING SETS, sparse columns and table-valued parameters makes it easier to write T-SQL code
- New Import/Export wizard makes it easy to migrate data
SQL Server Compact makes it easy to create database applications
- Small 2MB footprint allows for easy distribution of Windows applications
- No database administration required or Windows services
- Support of a rich subset of T-SQL syntax and commands
Easy to Learn
SQL Server Compact Edition and SQL Server Express were designed to be easy to learn so you can get up and running quickly
Deep integration with Visual Studio Express makes it easy to create database applications
Short learning curve means you can start creating applications today
A webcast tutorial is available for beginners title Understanding a Database Schema.
Downloading SQL Server 2008 Express for Free
Please take the time to register with us. You’ll receive:
- product update and release notifications specific to SQL Server Express
- access to developer resources, how-to articles and community forums and team blogs
- discounts on SQL Server e-learning courses
I understand that I can always register later.
Please take me to the download page.
Download SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Founder & CEO, Ntirety
My Personal Twitter Account: Michael_Corey
Ntirety Corporate Twitter Account: Ntirety