The June meeting of the Boston MySQL User group featured Keith Murphy, Editor of the MySQL Magazine (www.mysqlzine.net). Talking about Mysql backups.
Here are some of the links mentioned in the Video
Mylvmbackup by Lenz Grimmer
mylvmbackup is a tool for quickly creating backups of a MySQL server’s data files. To perform a backup, mylvmbackup obtains a read lock on all tables and flushes all server caches to disk, creates a snapshot of the volume containing the MySQL data directory, and unlocks the tables again. The snapshot process takes only a small amount of time. When it is done, the server can continue normal operations, while the actual file backup proceeds.
The LVM snapshot is mounted to a temporary directory and all data is backed up using the tar program. By default, the archive file is created using a name of the form backup-YYYYMMDD_hhmmss_mysql.tar.gz, where YYYY, MM, DD, hh, mm, and ss represent the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second of the time at which the backup occurred. The prefix backup and the date format can be modified. The use of timestamped archive names allows you to run mylvmbackup many times without danger of overwriting old archives.
Alternatively, instead of tar, you may use rsync. This process is nearly identical, with the exception that the file suffix is not used.
INNOBASE ? INNODB Hot Backup
InnoDB Hot Backup is the ideal solution for online backups of InnoDB tables in MySQL?and for setting up replication. It allows you to back up a running InnoDB database under MySQL without setting any locks or disturbing normal database processing. You get a consistent copy of your database, as if the copy were taken at a precise point in time. InnoDB Hot Backup is also the ideal method of setting up new slaves if you use the MySQL replication on InnoDB tables.
Prices are at:
Price (excluding VAT)
1-Year License ? 390 $ 605
Perpetual License ? 990 $ 1540
1-Year Email Support ? 590 $ 915
Zmanda Open Source Backup
Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for MySQL simplifies the life of a Database Administrator who needs an easy-to-use yet flexible and robust backup and recovery solution for MySQL server. With ZRM for MySQL you can:
* Schedule full and incremental backups of your MySQL database.
* Start immediate backup or postpone scheduled backups based on thresholds defined by you.
* Choose to do more flexible logical or faster raw backups of your database.
* Perform backup that is the best match for your storage engine and your MySQL configuration.
* Backup your remote MySQL database through a firewall.
* Configure on-the-fly compression and/or encryption of your MySQL backups to meet your storage and security needs.
* Get e-mail notification about the status of your backups and receive MySQL backup reports via RSS feed.
* Monitor and browse your backups.
* Define retention policies and delete backups that have expired.
* Recover a database easily to any point in time or to any particular transaction, e.g. just before a user made an error.
* Parse binary logs to search and filter MySQL logs for operational and security reasons.
Posted by Michael Corey